What cars are really green, and which ones have the name but fail to live up to expectations.
The top ten green cars in terms of emissions currently available as new cars are as follows. We have discounted the following electric cars as part of this guide, as they are really only suitable for London city dwellers currently. (Only London has sufficient recharging stations to make them a viable form of transport)
All the electric cars have Zero CO2 Emissions, if you discount the CO2 of the power stations that produce the electricity that is!
- NICE MEGA City 4KW electric car
- Smart ForTwo EV 30KW electric car
- Rega G Wiz 6KW electric car
For the real world we have used cars that are petrol, diesel or hybrid cars.
Top Ten Lowest CO2 emission new cars1. Seat Ibiza 1.4 TDI 80PS Ecomotion 99g/km
2. VW Polo 1.4 TDI Bluemotion 99g/km
3. MINI Cooper 1.6 D 104g/km
4. Toyota Prius 1.5 VVTi Hybrid 104g/km
5. Peugeot 107 1.0 Toyota Aygo 1.0/Citroen C1 1.0 109g/km
6. Mini Clubman 1.6 D 109g/km
7. Honda Civic IMA Hybrid 109g/km
8. Skoda New Fabia Hatchback/Estate 1.4 Tdi Green Line 109g/km
9. Smart ForTwo Coupe 45kw 112g/km
10. Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Econetic Estate 114g/km
With the price of fuel at an all time high, we have translated these same results into cost per 1000 miles of fuel, based on the manufacturers claimed Miles per Gallon figures. 1000 miles is equivalent to 5 round trips from Birmingham to Manchester or a one way trip from Oxford to Barcelona.
Top Ten cars ranked by cost of fuel per 1000 miles1. Seat Ibiza 1.4 TDI 80PS Ecomotion £78.82
2. VW Polo 1.4 TDI Bluemotion £78.82
3. MINI Cooper 1.6 D £80.89
4. Toyota Prius 1.5 VVTi Hybrid £82.23
5. Mini Clubman 1.6 D £85.01
6. Skoda New Fabia Hatchback/Estate 1.4 Tdi Green Line £85.01
7. Peugeot 107 1.0 Toyota Aygo 1.0/Citroen C1 1.0 £87.99
8. Honda Civic IMA £87.99
9. Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Econetic Estate £89.14
10. Smart ForTwo Coupe 45kw £89.89
Whilst many of the cars listed are too small to be green family cars, there are a few exceptions.
The Skoda Fabia Green Line estate and the Ford Focus Duratorq Hatchback Estate are both big enough for the average family.and with prices for the Skoda Fabia Greenline Estate starting at only £12145 OTR, it is well within the price range of most new car buyers. The Ford Focus Econetic Hatchback starts at £16050 but with discount this could be under £14000.
To view reviews of all of these cars, visit our reviews section.