Who Are We?
This policy applies to any Motoring.co.uk Ltd digital assets, including Motoring.co.uk and Regit.
Motoring.co.uk Limited ("we/us") refers to any assets owned by Motoring.co.uk Ltd, namely:
- Regit.cars (“Regit”)
- Motoring.co.uk (“Motoring.co.uk”)
When you use www.regit.cars (“Regit”) and/or www.motoring.co.uk (“Motoring.co.uk”) you trust us with your information. By helping you understand our privacy practices we want to show that we are committed to keeping that trust.
It is important that you read this notice, together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal information about you so that you are aware of how and why we are using such information.Our Data Protection Principles
We will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
The data controller is Motoring.co.uk Limited of Glasshouse, Alderley Park, Macclesfield, SK10 4TG. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you.
Our nominated representative is John Caslin.
Our Data Protection Registration Number is: ZA289062
Last modified: 19 March 2018
Effective date: 19 March 2018
Data collection and use
Our Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
We have several legal bases for processing your personal data. In each case, we have chosen the least intrusive method for our users, anonymising data where possible in providing our service.
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
- Performance of a Contract
We may need to process your personal data in order to fulfil our contractual obligations with you. These may include but are not limited to the purchasing of a service plan from us, completing a finance application, and submitting an enquiry on a new or used vehicle.
Where we process your personal data for direct marketing, whether for the purpose of sending communications from us or from our business partners (third parties) (see here) it will be based on us having obtained valid opt-in consent from you to do so. You may remove your consent at any time.
- Legitimate Interest
Where we process your personal data to provide our digital garage service including, but not limited to, valuation updates, MOT, tax and recall reminders.
We may process your personal data to keep audit logs, keep data security or to perform research and development. We may also process user data on a non-identifiable basis to develop insight on the behaviour of our users, which helps us and our partners improve their marketing. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
The Information We Collect
In order to provide our service across our digital platforms, we collect data from our users. This may be in the form of vehicle data such as your car’s reg, or personal data such as your email used to create your account. In each case, we process this data in the most sensitive manner possible.
- Information You Provide
All of the information you provide helps ensure that we can tailor our services just for you and make them as enjoyable as possible. This includes but is not limited to when you:
- When you create or update your Regit account and include your car’s VRM (Vehicle Registration Mark), your name, email, phone number, password and postcode.
- Personalise your digital garage by giving information about your vehicle which includes its MOT, tax, service and insurance due dates.
- Submit a finance application through us.
- Purchase a service plan through us.
- Complete a soft credit check and may include gender and financial information
- Complete surveys or reviews sent to you by us.
- Give a reason for your valuation in order to tailor your Regit experience.
- Submit an enquiry on a new or used vehicle, or offer
- Information Created
In order for us to maximise your experience with us, we collect some information when you use our services. This includes:
In order to optimise your experience with us, we may use the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, your location, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
Usage and Preference Information
To help improve our service we may collect usage and preference information including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) on social interactions with other registered users, and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our telephone numbers.
Electronic Communications and Calls
To give you everything we have to offer we may contact you by telephone regarding your valuation, these calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes. We also may text you regarding your valuation and replies to these text messages may be collected. Other electronic communications we may have with you may also be collected. Electronic communications may include but are not limited to email, SMS (text message), facebook messenger and similar internet-based messenger services.
- Information from Other Sources
We work with numerous partners in order to benefit our users and sometimes get information about our users from these sources. This includes:
- To receive the full benefits of our digital garage and marketplace, when you provide us with information such as your VRM and mileage, we may also collect your car’s MOT renewal date, tax expiry date, estimated value, warranty duration and vehicle identification number. We may check this information about your vehicle with other providers including but not limited to the DVSA or CDL;
- Information about you and/or your vehicles if you use any of the other websites we operate;
- When you create a Regit account through one of our partners;
- When working with finance and insurance partners to try and give you a quicker quote;
- Communicating with dealers and manufacturers in order to get you the best deal on a new car; and
- Feedback from the listed business partners providing the digital garage and marketplace, listed in Section 6 below, in order to provide feedback and improve performance of our service
- If You Fail to Provide Personal Information
If you have provided information which is incorrect or inaccurate then the service that you receive may be limited. You can update your account information at any time in your settings.
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you (such as paying you or providing a benefit), or we may be prevented from complying with our legal obligations (such as to ensure the health and safety of our workers).
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we collect to provide our services, such as the digital garage, valuation tool or recall reminders. It’s this data that allows us to personalise the digital garage and marketplace results.
We use the information collected for the following purposes:
- Providing Services and Features
We use the information collected to ensure that our users get the best possible service from our products and features. This may include using the information to:
- Assist in keeping you safe and legal by providing information on your vehicle throughout the digital garage and marketplace including but not limited to a valuation, MOT and Tax due dates;
- Keeping you up to date with relevant automotive news and offers (where you have consented for us to contact you about such); and
- Make your experience with us more enjoyable by personalising ads that you see on our site.
- Research and Development
In order for us to keep improving the service we provide we may use the information collected for testing, research, analysis and product development. This is to allow us to do the following:
- To improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device(s);
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so;
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them;
- To administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To detect that no fraudulent activity is made by you; and
- To help keep our site safe and secure.
- Communications from Us
We may use the information we collect to communicate with you via your consented forms of communication. This may include us doing the following:
- Information about you or the vehicle(s) provided to us by you;
- Updating you with our new products and services;
- Contacting you with regards to automotive offers;
- Keeping you up to date with the latest automotive news; and
- Promoting competitions we offer.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Automated decision-making takes place when an electronic system uses personal information to make a decision without human intervention. We are allowed to use automated decision-making in the following circumstances:
- Where we have notified you of the decision and given you 21 days to request a reconsideration.
- Where it is necessary to perform the contract with you and appropriate measures are in place to safeguard your rights.
- In limited circumstances, with your explicit written consent and where appropriate measures are in place to safeguard your rights.
If we make an automated decision on the basis of any particularly sensitive personal information, we must have either your explicit written consent or it must be justified in the public interest, and we must also put in place appropriate measures to safeguard your rights.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making unless we have a lawful basis for doing so and we have notified you.
[We do not envisage that any decisions will be taken about you using automated means, however, we will notify you in writing if this position changes.]
Cookies and Third Party Technologies
Cookies are used by us and our partners to allow us to authenticate users, remember their preferences, monitor site performance and deliver more personalised advertising campaigns.
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analysing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviours and interests of people who interact with our services
Information Sharing And Disclosure
We treat the information we collect from our users with the utmost care. Some of our products, services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request, such as the digital garage or marketplace, or when you have submitted a form. You can withdraw this consent at any time.
- With Your Consent or to Fulfil a Contract
If you specifically consent to us doing so or it is necessary for us to fulfil a contract with you we may share your information with business partners, suppliers and subcontractors but only in accordance with consent from you. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
We partner with the following lists of suppliers and subcontractors, to provide and fulfil our digital garage and marketplace service. In some cases, they may process personal data, for example, to show results near you, or related to the car you drive.
- Car manufacturers which may include: Alfa Romeo,Alpina,Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Citroen, Dacia, DS, Ferrari, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Lexus, Lotus, Maserati, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, MG, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Porsche, Renault, Seat, Skoda, Smart, SsangYong, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Volvo.
- Motors.co.uk and its dealer network
- The Car Buying Group
- Overmore Group
- Revilo Automotive
- DSG Financial Services Ltd
- Evergreen Law
- Prophecy Unlimited
- Potential D
- Mobility Trader
We also partner with the following performance, advertising and optimisation businesses to administer the services on our site. You find out more about how each manage their policies beneath, correct as of 15/01/2021.
- Analytics, Optimisation & Personalisation - Hotjar, Optimize
- Advertising & Behavioural - AdWords, Facebook, AppNexus, Lytics, Twitter, Bing Ads, Eyeota, Oracle, Outbrain
- Community & Discussion - Tawk, Service Desk, Disqus
- Communication Platforms - Twilio, Messagebird, Mapp
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
- With the General Public When You Submit Content to a Public Forum
We love hearing from our users - including through public forums such as the comments sections on our site, social media, and certain upload features on our network. When you communicate with us through those channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
- For Legal Reasons or in the Event of a Dispute
- We may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
Information Retention and Deletion
We adhere to a strict retention policy after which we will no longer process your data.
- We retain your information while your Regit account remains active unless you ask us to delete your information or your account. We deem an account to be active if there has been any engagement by the user within a 4 year window +90 days to attempt to re-engage a user. After this period any personally identifiable information is deleted or anonymised.
- If you have been contacted by phone then a recording of your call may be kept for up to 3 months to ensure quality assurance in our business practices.
- Any financial information that you share with us may be kept for up to 6 years in accordance with the FCA.
If you would like us to delete or anonymise your information then please email email@example.comStorage of Your Data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.Data Security
We have put in place measures to protect the security of your information.
Third parties will only process your personal information on our instructions and where they have agreed to treat the information confidentially and to keep it secure.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who need to know such information. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
Choice and Transparency
By using our service or features, you do not forfeit any rights. We make it easy for our users to withdraw their consent at any time too.
- Your Rights
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes by withdrawing consent to do so. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Privacy Settings
We are committed to giving you choice and transparency. If you want to amend your privacy preferences you can access your privacy settings in the Regit preference centre here where you have the ability to update your current preferences for how your information is used and shared.
- Marketing Consent
To either opt-in or opt-out from the different forms of marketing which includes the different forms of electronic marketing (email, SMS (text message), and other forms of internet-based communication) and phone calls from us or from our listed partners then you can change your preferences in the preference centre here or you can contact us at email@example.com or https://regitcars.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals.
- Accessing and Correcting Your Information
We will always give you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
The subject access request form can be found here. Any access request is free of charge although you must provide us with two forms of approved identification in order for us to verify your identity.
If you believe any of your information we hold is incorrect you may edit the name, phone number, email, VRM and postcode associated with your account here.
Under certain circumstances, by law, you have the right to:
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
Both can be actioned by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may occasionally update this policy. If you use our services after an update, you consent to the updated policy.