Drivers beware: letting your car turn into an oven might cost you a hefty £5,000 fine. The Highway Code, a treasure trove of road safety wisdom, hides Rule 237 in its depths, a rule many drivers remain blissfully unaware of, according to Zego insurance experts.
Rule 237's wisdom? "You MUST keep your car well ventilated to avoid drowsiness".
Why the fuss? Well, blasting your car's heating can cause you to get sleepy which can mess with your alertness, decision-making and reaction times.
The Highway Code not only dishes out the rule but also slaps on a potential £5,000 penalty for rule-breakers.
Zego's spokesperson emphasises the importance of a breezy ride: a well-ventilated car keeps your senses sharp and reduces the risk of nodding off, preventing those blink-and-you-miss-it accidents.
Why's ventilation crucial?
- Cleaner Air: Keep your car ventilated well to kick out nasty pollutants.
- No More Fog: Helps removed humidity and condensation for clear windows and better visibility.
- Cosy Cruising: Maintain a comfy temperature for happy drives.
- Stay Awake: Fresh air keeps you alert—no more yawning at the wheel!
How to keep things breezy?
- AC Care: Give your air conditioning some love with regular check-ups.
- Dust Off Vents: Wipe away dust to keep the air flowing smoothly.
- Window Wisdom: Crack a window for a breeze, but be smart about it..
Save fuel and stay warm with a jumper in winter!